The proper handling of a battery is key to ensuring a long service life. This applies to both use and storage – especially if you are planning to store the battery or the cordless power tool for longer periods of time. We have summarised the most important storage tips for you, so that your batteries will emerge from longer storage periods in the best possible condition.
Guarantee a longer life: storing batteries properly
STIHL uses modern lithium-ion batteries for all cordless power tools. They are not only light and quiet, they also have a high energy and power density. But even a maintenance-friendly battery with a long life expectancy needs to be well looked after.
Our storage tips for a long service life:
- Remove the battery from the cordless power tool.
- Check the charge level before storage and make sure that your battery has a remaining capacity of at least 30% (one to two green LEDs).
- If necessary, use a slightly damp cloth to remove dirt and debris from the battery.
- Protect your battery from moisture and direct sunlight by storing it in a closed box, for example.
- Temperature is key: A storage temperature of -10 °C to +50 °C is recommended – dry basement rooms, the garage or a well-insulated shed are ideal.
- Store your batteries in a safe place and ensure children do not have access to them.
Print out the checklist and hang it in your garden shed or simply save it on your smartphone.
Storing devices with integrated batteries properly
Removing the battery isn’t necessary for devices with an integrated battery, such as the FSA 45 brushcutter. Apart from that, similar tips apply for storage:
- Switch off the device and remove the activation key.
- Use a damp cloth to remove dirt and debris from the device before storage.
- Store the device in a dry and safe space.
- The temperature should be between 0 °C and +50 °C.
- Avoid direct sunlight and moisture.
- Store the activation key separately from the cordless power tool.
When using your cordless power tool again after a longer storage period, only recharge it shortly before use. This also conserves capacities and has a positive effect on the service life.